Friday, August 14, 2009

Dads and Birthdays

I'll give a shout-out to Cigar Mike for his post, "Today was my Dad's Birthday." My apologies to Mike for missing his dad's birthday yesterday, the 13th, but let me print some of his post here, so you all can enjoy it and check out the full piece if so desired...

Cigar Mike writes, "The irony of Val's Post regarding today's date. August 13 is usually looked as the birth date of a decrepit tyrant. To me, this date has always been my dad's birthday. He would have turned 85 today. Since his untimely death in 1994, I would always commiserate about my dad on this day with my mom. Now for the first time in my life, I no longer have her to commiserate with. As an only child growing up it was essentially Mom, Dad, the Cuban Abuelos, and me that lived together. As the years went on, my grandfather died in 1977, my grandmother in 1988, my dad in 1994 and my mom in 2008. Now I'm at the top of the heap as they say.

The irony of it all is that while a good man born on that date lived only to see his 69th Birthday, an evil man born on that day is still around with blood on his hands and with room for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pappillon welcomes your comments and encourages your participation. Comments may, however, be moderated.